Friday, January 21, 2022

How COVID hurts more than those that get it

It’s still crazy for me to say it, but I recently had open heart surgery. 

On December 14th I went to the hospital with 102 degree temperature. Turns out I had sepsis that went to my knee and into my heart valve. Eventually, I had to have my heart valve replaced and am finally out of the hospital, at home and recuperating. 

But this blog isn’t about that - it’s about how people with COVID who are hospitalized ultimately effect those without COVID, also hospitalized. 

The nurses shortage is real. I spent more time in bed than I was supposed to because there wasn’t a nurse to get me up and walking.  In talking to the nurses, some nurses are out because they have contracted COVID and some because they refuse to be vaccinated.  I can tell you for sure, this angers the nurses that are working 12 hour shifts.  

The worst part, was the fact no one could come and sit with me. I kept my parents away because I didn’t want them exposed to COVID.  The flurry of doctors that would come in and give me updates, tell what procedures needed to be done next. All very scary and all by myself. There were countless phone calls. To my parents - sometimes at 6 am or to my cousin, Coleen - sometimes at 10 pm.  To my friend Jen who I needed to talk about anything but what was going on with me (we talked baseball). Thankfully I had caring nurses and techs to occasionally hold my had and tell me it was going to be ok.  But that’s not the same as someone who cares and loves you. 

The section of the hospital that I was in before my release, was literally put together in a matter of one day. Nurses getting beds, monitors, supplies within a matter of hours. This is because the section I was supposed to be in, was being used for COVID patients.  

My surgeon who did my valve replacement sent me home within 5 days - instead of the 7-10 days they normally give patients who have this surgery, because “I don’t want you exposed to COVID in the hospital. We have patients who didn’t come in with COVID, now have it” my surgeon told me.   

Patients being treated in hallways, over stressed doctors and nurses with anger, frustration is all real. I saw it all first hand. 

99% of the patients being hospitalized are not vaccinated.  They are on ventilators, they are dying.   

I realize those that refuse to get vaccinated, probably won’t change their minds, no matter what they are told. But it’s important to me that after everything I have been through since mid December, that choices people make do not just effect their loved ones - they are hurting people they will never know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment